Freight Logistics Coordination Team
The Australian Government announced details of a one-off $20 million funding package to assist Tasmanian exporters reach international markets following the decision in 2011 by Tasmania's sole international shipping container operator AAA to cease operations.
The funding package is to be used on three key initiatives:
- provision of direct and immediate assistance to Tasmanian exporters through a one-off payment to help them stay competitive in the new shipping environment ($14.5 million) see: (http://www.dier.tas.gov.au/shippingfund)
- investment in infrastructure improvements at the Port of Burnie to increase container handling capacity and enhance the efficiency of movements within the port (4million); and
- establishment of a freight logistics coordination team ($1.5million).
Purpose of the Freight Logistics Coordination Team
The primary purpose of the Freight Logistics Coordination Team is to provide expert advice and guide the completion of a long-term freight strategy in Tasmania and to provide recommendations to the Minister for Infrastructure on Tasmanian supply chain issues as part of this process.
Expressions of Interest
The Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources (DIER) is currently calling for expressions of interest from Tasmanian industries, shippers, infrastructure, transport and logistics providers for membership of the Freight Logistics Coordination Team.
Expressions of Interest will be published statewide on Saturday 6th October and will close by close of business Friday 19th October.
The Terms of Reference for the Fright Logistics Coordination Team are available here:
- Freight Logistics Coordination Team - Terms of Reference, (PDF, 285KB)
- Freight Logistics Coordination Team - Terms of Reference, (WORD, 285KB)
Further Information for Applicants
It is suggested applicants provide a CV together with a short statement outlining :
- their involvement in, and knowledge and understanding of, the freight sector and how this would contribute to the Team undertaking its role and work program;
- their ability to represent and/or communicate with the freight sector.