The school bus fare structure is based on the following:
- Students using similar services pay similar fares.
Students who meet the criteria for the Student Bus Pass for Free Travel are eligible to travel free for 2 one way trips per day between their home or weekday boarding residence and school between 6:00am and 7:00pm Monday to Friday during school terms.
Student and Adult Student fares apply on all buses at all times, not just going to and from school. Students should carry appropriate student identification to validate their entitlement to student concession fares.
Student Fares (for students not eligible for the issue of a free bus pass)
The student fares depend on where you are travelling to and from.
- Wholly outside of an urban or town area to the local school
These students receive free travel.
- into, or out of, an urban area;
- within a town area;
- where students travel beyond their local school.
The maximum fare is $1.30 for each journey;
- A discounted (maximum) fare of $1.00 per journey applies where the student presents a valid student Greencard or smartcard
- within an urban area, Hobart, Launceston, Devonport and Burnie.The maximum fare is $1.30 for each journey
- The discounted (maximum) fare is $1.04 with a Metro Greencard or the relevant operators smart card
If you need to catch 2 buses
Child students (up to and including the school year in which they turn 18) who need to transfer from one fare charging bus service to another to complete their travel between home (or boarding residence) and school may be eligible for a free Transfer Pass. Students only need to pay one fare to get to school or return home.
Please note that students travelling exclusively on Metro or Merseylink services, and who need to transfer to another bus to complete their journey between home and school do not need to be issued a transfer pass. The electronic ticketing systems in place on these services are programmed to allow free transfers within 90 minutes of the first boarding.
Eligibility for Child Student FaresFull-time Senior Secondary College, Australian Technical College, University, Academy and Polytechnic students are eligible for the student fare up to the end of the school year in which they turn 18.
Eligibility for Adult Student Fares
The Adult Student fare is available to full-time students from the year in which they turn 19 years of age and over, attending:
- Senior Secondary College
- Academy, Polytechnic
- The Australian Technical College
On Urban Fringe Bus Services, the Adult Student fare is the standard adult concession fare, which is up to 50% of the full fare.
On Metro and Merseylink services, the adult student fare is a flat fare regardless of the number of fare sections or zones travelled.
Student Bus Passes for Free Travel
A student is eligible for a Student Bus Pass for Free Travel to and from their school up to, and including the year in which they turn 18 years of age. They must also be attending full-time classes at a recognised:
- Primary or secondary school
- Senior secondary college
- Special education facility
- Academy, Polytechnic
- Australian Technical College
- Listed as a dependent of a person holding a current concession card*, or holds a concession card in their own right, or
- A student under a care and protection order.
*A concession card means:
- a Pensioner Concession Card,
- a Veterans Affairs Pensioner Concession Card, or
- a Health Care Card.
How to apply for a Student Bus Pass for Free Travel or free Transfer Pass.
Students can apply online here.
Students unable to apply online can obtain a paper application from any Service Tasmania shop.
How to apply for a Student Greencard
Students unable to download the online form can obtain a paper application from any Service Tasmania shop